Social Media Marketing FAQ’s
How do I know which social media platform to use for my business?
I do not believe every platform is for every business and even if your target market fits into each platform it’s not necessary to use all of them. Creating a well thought out social media strategy will help determine which platforms will be best for you. According to a recent Pew Research Study, Facebook is generally appealing to women between the ages of 18-29, although we’re seeing signs of the baby boom generation participating. Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr tend to appeal to a younger audience while Pinterest appeals to mostly women under 50 with some college education. And let’s not forget about LinkedIn for those B2B marketers who feel like there is not an appropriate platform for them. And research and statistics change like the wind so it still goes back to having a solid strategy for what will work best for your business.
I thought Facebook was FREE to use! – It is free to use for your PERSONAL page but not if you’re setting up a BUSINESS PAGE. Facebook is a business and it expects if you are a business who wants to reach a specific community on Facebook (e.g. your clients), you are going to have to pay the piper. In the December, 2013 issue of Ad Age, a Facebook spokesperson said We’re getting to a place where because more people are sharing more things, the best way to get your stuff seen if you’re a business is to pay for it. Come to the table when setting up a social media campaign expecting to include a Facebook Ad budget that is continual. This will help ensure that the content you are sharing with your clients and potential clients is actually getting into their newsfeeds. The key to having greater success with Facebook ads is making sure you get laser focused on your target audience. Thankfully, Facebook is a perfect platform to drill down to the specifics for whom you are targeting.
When will I see a ROI (return on my investment)? – The million dollar question posed to every social media and marketing consultant. This can be such a gray area because developing relationships with your customers and potentially new customers takes time. You have to do the dance and work on the 80/20 rule. 80% of your social media engagement is to educate and entertain your fans/followers, etc. Letting them know you care about their interests and their feedback which helps create loyalty and trust. Once that loyalty and trust is achieved the remaining 20% can be used to promote your products/services properly. Once you have loyal, trustworthy fans, you will start to see your ROI.
Aren’t I opening myself (and my business) up to negativity by using social media? – In a fairly recent blog I wrote about the necessary evil of review sites. Let’s face it, whether or not you’re participating in social media, people will talk about your company. The smart step is to join in on the conversation and stay two steps ahead. It’s imperative to address both positive and negative comments and respond appropriately. Being active on social media gives you the tools to really take the steps of observing, facilitating and actually joining that conversation and keeping those negative comments to a minimum.